Monday, September 13, 2010

Soy!


Last week in my Comp. & Alt. Medicine class we learned about herbal medicine. The professor pointed out something that really caught my attention. When speaking of vegetarians, soy (which is one of my favorite things to eat) is a common thing which is found in a lot of vegetarian dishes. Did you know that soy is the primary source of proteins for animals so that they could survive? The very animals that mankind likes to eat are fed leafy greens, soy product, or other vegetarian options so that they can grow into strong, healthy animals. It all comes back to being vegetarian!

According to http://www.soyconnection.com/health_nutrition/index.php, soy is a complete protein and soy foods are rich in vitamins and minerals. The FDA stated that about 25 grams of soy protein per day may reduce the risk of heart disease. There are many additional health benefits to soy that could be found on that website but it amazes me why we do not use this low-cost source of protein to our benefit.

Morningstar Farms makes a whole line of soy products that anyone could use to add more protein into their diet. At their website, http://www.morningstarfarms.com/, a whole bunch of recipes can be found. I personally love most of their products. My favorites are: Italian herb chicken patties, Buffalo wings, chicken nuggets, ribs, grillers crumbles, and chicken strips. All of these products have great nutritional value which are the nutrients most vegetarians lack in their diet.

Confused? These soy products are made into fake “meat” dishes in order to give taste to the soybean. I know I am big on the whole be vegetarian idea, and eating fake meat might sound like I want meat in my life, but reality is, Morningstar products are just so tasty and if any of you try it beware! …..You just might get addicted! 

4 comments:

  1. While I'm not a vegetarian, I do eat intentionally following the philosophies of 'know your farmer to know your food' and 'eat local'. So, I know how challenging it can be to try and follow a self-imposed dietary regime, often in a world not exactly designed to support your choices. I'm interested to hear you discuss your experience as a vegetarian more this semester through your blog. As for today's entry, while there are a number of studies supporting the health benefits of soy, I'm curious what your thoughts are about the recent research into the 'dark side' of soy? For example, some have suggested that because soy is a natural source of estrogen, it may not be an ideal source of protein for some individuals (for example, women with a current diagnosis of breast cancer). Where do you fall on the issue, and what do you think about this research? Are you worried at all about the estrogen in your soy?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is really cool! I tried vegetarianism for a week during the school year last year and then I tried again during the summer since now I can cook in my apartment, but it just became difficult once I got home (Polish parents so lots of meat). I still eat mostly vegetarian meals though, including soy milk. Now, I'm not sure if the soy content in that is as high as it would be in a soy burger, but it is still there. I am going to check the label next time I use soy milk and see what it says. The one thing that worries me about soy is that it can become so predominant in a vegetarian's diet, that you miss out on a lot of the things that meat can provide. We do need protein and soy just doesn't always do a sufficient job. Have you ever been told you were deficient of a certain vitamin or nutrient due to you being a vegetarian? I'm always concerned about this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So I love this post Deepa! I have been vegetarian for about 5 years now and I never miss meat! I love soy and I'm kind of surprised you haven't brought up SoyJoy which is my fav energy bar/snack. As Michelle brought up is soy being a predominant part of a vegetarian's diet. Obviously a healthy vegetarian can not live off of soy alone and it always bothers me when meat eaters think vegetarians/vegans don't get the nutrients they need because they aren't eating flesh. Is is a stretch to think that if you eat chicken every single day that you won't get all the nutrients you need? Healthy vegetarians eat such a variety just because you don't see it doesn't mean they don't eat eat. Half of my college friends haven't heard of quinoa, seitan, or tempeh. A vegetarian serious about the lifestyle and health can easily find the variety and nutrients they need.

    And Deepa I love your intro to this post. Instead of eating animals we could easily eat a vegetarian diet. Eating meat doesn't quite make sense if the animals can even healthfully eat vegetarian.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm definitely far from a vegetarian as anyone thats eaten a meal with me can attest but I have had veggie burgers made from soy that I found to be quite delicious. I'm amazed at how they can take a fairly flavorless bean and turn it into something that nearly perfectly mimics a hamburger. My only hang up was the texture. It didnt have quite the same consistency or feel to it when I bit into it which is why you wont find me eating them regularly.

    ReplyDelete