Sunday, October 17, 2010

Vaccines?

So you may be wondering why this post is called Vaccines. I was talking to my friend about being vegetarian and she brought to my attention the fact that some vaccines have non-vegetarian products in them. I decided to do some detective work and found a helpful website. It states that the childhood vaccines Influenza (flu) and measles-mumps-rubella (MMR) both contain egg or egg related proteins in them. Also, some vaccines contain gelatin in order to act as a heat stabilizer. Those routine childhood vaccines containing gelatin include MMR, varicella (chicken-pox), influenza and DTaP (diphtheria, tetanus and acellular pertussis).  This makes me question whether it is okay for a vegetarian to even get these vaccines. If one will not eat things with eggs in it or gelatin, then getting an injection with these same products would be going against their beliefs as well. It would be so hypocritical.

But then on the other hand while these beliefs are important to individuals, these routine vaccinations are CDC recommended regulations for children to lead healthy lives. They were introduced to prevent outbreaks in our society and so far they have prevented the spread of many diseases. I feel like this is where I would stand with my viewpoint because vaccines are important for one's health. At this point one should realize that although it is against their beliefs it is necessary to have to even lead a healthy life at all.

I guess this is the time when you ask yourself..... where do you draw the line on either standpoint?

More details about the vaccines can be found at: http://allergies.about.com/od/medicationallergies/a/vaccinesfoods.htm.

2 comments:

  1. This article is really interesting because I was not aware that vaccines contained gelatin or eggs in them. I agree with your stand on vaccines because I'm a vegetarian as well. If taking vaccines are able to help and prevent an outbreak of diseases then I would have to agree to taking them even though they do contain gelatin and eggs. It's interesting how doctor's don't tell their patients about this since some people are very strict vegetarians. Patients should be informed about what is in a vaccine before taking them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It never occurred to me that such a dilemma existed.

    I understand that being a vegetarian ties in with many cultural and religious practices. For many of these cultures the regulations are fairly strict and do not provide any room to compromise. With that understanding I can now see how this issue can stir up some news.

    The other (insensitive) side of me says that this is minor league ridiculous. I found this little voice inside of me ask mockingly, "...does this really matter...?" I understand that boundaries are strict but to object to health precautions that were designed for the good of the society is "annoying" to say the least.

    However, i do see the slippery slope and the compromising attitude it tolerates. Just as "sex-ed" was created for the "good." My personal beliefs results in dissonance when i hear programs encouraging sex outside of boundaries of marriage.

    ReplyDelete